Instructions to Authors
Please review all items below before making a submission. Submission information is in item 13.
1. All manuscripts must follow APA 7th style (including the formatting of headers, page numbers, tables, figures, and reporting of statistics). Note: Do NOT include DOIs in the reference citations.
2. Do not use any footnotes or “acknowledgement” language.
3. Abstracts should be at least 180 words, but no more than 200. Authors should also try avoid citations in the abstract. Here is an article providing tips on writing an abstract in APA format.
4. All manuscripts of empirical studies must contain only the following major headings:
• Limitations and Future Research
5. The manuscript may include subheadings, in proper APA 7th Edition style, as warranted and only when beneficial to specific large information passages. For proper formatting of headings and subheadings, please visit the Purdue Online Writing Lab’s APA Style Introduction. (View major changes is APA 7th style).
6. Do not use any additional level-one headings, except those identified above, for empirical studies (i.e., where data was collected). JBSS papers without a thoughtful Limitations and Future Research section will be returned for immediate revision. Revisit your overall research design and qualitative research pursuits in this section.
7. The manuscript’s text should not exceed 35 double-spaced pages (excluding references, abstract, and title page). If your manuscript is longer, please contact the editor well in advance of submission.
8. JBSS requires all tables and figures to be placed at the end of the manuscript with a brief call out in the text (e.g., “see table 1”).
Insert Table 2 About Here
9. Manuscripts will be reviewed by the journal's editors with an initial decision made regarding whether the manuscript will be routed for peer-review. The peer-reviewers will use the following rubric when evaluating the manuscript: Evaluation Rubric. The final decision regarding the article's publication, following blind peer-review, is made by the journal's editor(s).
10. Normally, authors will be notified within five months of submission whether or not their manuscript is accepted for publication.
11. The manuscript's title page must contain the following information for each author: name, institutional affiliation, and department. The title page must identify the corresponding author and provide both mailing and email addresses. Authors submitting manuscripts should reference pp. 30-37 in APA 7th manual.
12. Following is a PDF sample copy of a manuscript in order to provide a sense of what the final product will look like when completed. Authors will receive a complimentary copy of the printed journal issue in which their publication appears as well as a PDF copy of the article for their own scholarship use and purposes.
13. Submit manuscripts as a Word document attachment to Dr. Bernardo Pohl at JBSS@uhd.edu. Address all manuscript or publication questions to Dr. Bernardo Pohl.
14. Some stylistic tips and helps regarding for what the editorial team appraises in quality manuscripts is located at the following website page: JBSS Increasing Publication Likelihood. Following these guides will substantially increase the chances of the manuscript's acceptance for publication.
15. Submission to JBSS assumes the manuscript has not been previously published elsewhere nor is under consideration by any other journal.
• Note: Each JBSS article will be published in a typeset format looking similar in appearance to the one HERE.